Step 1: Learn the rules of the road
What are the different traffic signs? Who has “right-of-way”? These are some of the basic information you’ll need to study before taking your learner permit test.
- Study the New York State Driver's Manual
- Take our online Practice Permit Test
Step 2: Determine which permit type you prefer
There are 3 types of learner permits: Standard, REAL ID, or Enhanced.
- beginning May 3, 2023, not accepted to board a domestic (within the U.S.) flight or to enter some federal buildings
- Has 'NOT FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES' on the front
- can be used to board a domestic (within the U.S.) flight
- has a white star in a black circle on the front
- can be used to board a domestic flight (within the U.S.)
- can be used to enter the U.S. at land crossings from Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean countries
- has a U.S. flag on the front
- costs an additional $30
Not sure which permit type is for you? See a detailed comparison of Standard, Enhanced, or REAL ID types.
Step 3: Gather the documents you’ll need to apply
When applying for a learner permit, you’ll need to provide:
- proof of age
- proof of identification
- proof of residence
Complete one of the NY DMV guides below to determine the documents and proofs of identification you will need before you apply.
You can also see a complete list of acceptable documents: How to Apply for a New York Learner Permit/Driver License/Non-Driver ID Card (PDF) (ID-44).
For those under the age of 21 and cannot provide enough proof, use this form: Statement of Identity and/or Residence by Parent/Guardian (PDF) (MV-45). Please note that your parent or guardian must come with you.
Step 4: Apply and Take Your Permit Test
You can begin your application online or at a DMV office.
- enabled webcam (on PC, smartphone, or tablet)
- proof of identity
- parent or guardian to supervise your test-taking if you are under 18.
At a DMV office
- proofs of identity, age, and residence
- fee for payment – see the fee chart to estimate the cost
To pass, you must get at least 14 of the 20 multiple-choice questions correct, including the correct answers to at least two of the four questions about road signs. If you do not pass you can try again. If you pass your written test we will give you a temporary permit at the office. You will receive your permit within 2 weeks by mail.See the location, instructions, and reservation information for your DMV.